Everyone has to buy a present at some point in their life for another person, whether it’s buying the latest drone for kids or a gift for partners at an anniversary, its a fact of life we all need to give. Many of us think about making presents for our loved ones at Christmas or for their birthday, but often we end up buying something instead last minute. Here are some of the top reasons why people buy presents instead of making them, so you can learn how to make your own instead of falling into these common traps!
- We don’t think they’ll be good enough. Often, shop-bought good is more ‘perfect’ than those we make ourselves. There are many of us that don’t think our baking or crafting is good enough, so buy presents instead. However, most recipients would prefer something homemade, as it shows a lot more thought has gone into the gift.
- It can be cheaper. Sometimes, buying a lot of ingredients or materials to make a gift can be quite expensive, especially if you will only need a little bit and then might waste the rest.
- It is much quicker. Similar to the point above, many of us feel we don’t have the time to make something at home – it’s much quicker to just pop to the store and buy something which is already made up.
- It’s more convenient to buy. Sometimes we don’t feel we have the right skills to make a gift at home. Bought gifts also come ready-packaged, meaning we don’t have to think about how to present the gift – simply wrapping it or putting it in a nice bag is sufficient. With home-made gifts, we often have to find packaging such as a box, bottle or jar, depending on what is being made, which can add extra hassle.
- We don’t know what to make. Often, we might have an idea of what to get our friend, but it’s impossible to try and make the same thing at home. Or, it might be the case that we simply don’t know what to get them, so making something seems even more difficult. If it’s someone you don’t know very well, it can be hard to think of something personal to make them.
- It might seem childish. This applies mostly to people who don’t feel they are very creative. They might feel their attempts to create something look more like their5 year old made it! This can make us feel inadequate, especially when trying to impress the recipient.
- The recipient might get the wrong message. A homemade gift may seem too intimate for someone you don’t know very well, and a generic gift from the store may feel more appropriate.